29905560

Hi there, I enquired to a solicitor last year July for to

Hi there,
I enquired to a solicitor last year July for to get a trade mark in Ireland. I had a conversation that lasted around 10 minutes, but did not ask for his services or agree to anything, he sent some documents via email that I never asked for. The solicitor sent me a bill with work carried out in November 2013 asking for a payment of almost £300 for his services. I replied straight away telling him that I made an enquiry but didnt ask for any services to be carried out. I have had a letter this morning saying if I didnt pay the bill he would be sending a debt collector. Can this be enforced? Thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Was this an English or Irish solicitor?

Customer:

Hi Ben, It was an English solicitor

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

The solicitor will be expected to follow the Solicitor’s Regulatory Authority’s Code of Conduct, the relevant part of which would be in relation to client relations here:

http://www.sra.org.uk/Solicitors/code-of-conduct/rule2.page

This would cover how to engage clients, to be clear and transparent about costs, obtain clear instructions and so on.

In terms of the fees they believe you owe them, they cannot just send in the debt collectors and force you to pay them – debt collectors are rather toothless because all they can do in the circumstances is threaten you and be a nuisance but they cannot force you to pay anything or part with your property. To be able to do any of that the solicitor would have to take you to court first, win their claim and obtain a court judgment again st you, then try and enforce it. Until that happens they can send as many debt collectors as they want but they cannot do anything to you. Whether they take it to court is another matter but in the circumstances as a solicitor I would probably not like to show my face in court in front of a judge.

Customer:

Hi Joe, Thank you for your response, that is much appreciated.