tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I have been accused of cheating in an exam at a small private

I have been accused of cheating in an exam at a small private animal care college. In the previous tests it was made clear that you had to put your books on the floor, but not in this one as it has a series of complicated maths/chemistry tables. The examiner said it was OK for the chart on these formulas to be in view. I did a couple of quick references to my notes which was clearly seen by two people who then reported me. It was confirmed by the pupil on my left who actually works for the college. She had her notes open all the time, the paper pad and her writing was very small so if she glanced at them it was not obvious. I clearly saw her turn the page over at one time. Because she works there, I assumed she knew what was and wasn't allowed. I am crushed by the injustice of it and can't stop crying. The first course I did there I felt very bullied, but I am a fairly strong person so I let it pass. What should I do, please?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Does the examiner confirm that he/she said these things to you?

Customer:

It was sent in an e-mail

tdlawyer :

So you're saying by definition if you were cheating, so was the person to your left?

Customer:

Absolutely. I did look at my notes a couple of times, but because she did also, and being a staff member, I thought it was OK. I was PETRIFIED of failing because of what had happened the last time.

tdlawyer :

Okay. And the examiner said that you would be entitled to have these tables/diagrams on show, and you did nothing more than look at them?

Customer:

No, as it happened, the tables were there and we both looked at them. The fact is, that in order to look at MY notes (made in class) I had to open the note book a bit to see what I had written, which I did quite openly thinking it was OK. The staff member next to me, had her small notebook open all the time with her right arm covering it, she if she glanced at them which she did, no one would have noticed. My point is I plead guilty to what I did, but as she was doing it, AND SHE WORKS THERE, I thought it was permissable. Prior to this, she was the only member of staff that had shown me any kindness.

tdlawyer :

Okay. The fact that she might have done something that, it turns out, she was not entitled to do, does not mean that you were right to have done it. At best, XXXXX XXXXX means, is that you had no intention whatsoever to do anything wrong, and that you shouldn't be held to task as much as somebody that did deliberately set out to cheat. This is more about the punishment for what has been done wrongly, than the fact of doing something that was prohibited.

tdlawyer :

They could, of course, give you a strong warning, and take no further action if they believe what you say about this.

tdlawyer :

It's difficult because you had admitted what seems to amount to charing in breach of the exam regulations, even though you did so innocently.

Customer:

Of course it was in innocence, that is why I am so upset. I know a fair cop when I see one! It means I have failed part of the course so can not get the certificate and I have the option of a re-take which will cost £100. The whole 10 day course was £2500. This is what I will have to do, obviously, but it will be hugely embarrassing for me to return when all the staff think I was cheating maliciously. I am so ashamed, but the injustic hurts most, and I know I can't explain that to the boss.

tdlawyer :

It sounds very unfair, and maybe you should make a point of making it very clear that the person to your left did a similar thing (if you haven't already), as clearly, it will not look good for the college for its own staff to be in a similar position. It might help resolve your issue a bit more favourably.

Customer:

I have not replied to the e-mail or said anything. If I did so before any re-take, she will not let me back and I don't think any other college does this certificate. So I need to hold my fire now and bite the bullet if I want the certificate, which I do obviously. Thanks, anyway.

tdlawyer :

okay. Thank you for your question, I'm sorry I haven't got a better resolution to suggest to you.

tdlawyer :

Please remember to rate the answer to end our chat. Thank you again.

tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 11 years experience of general practice.