29905560

hi,good day. my name isXXXXX just need a legal advice as

hi,good day. my name isXXXXX just need a legal advice as someone is threatening my sister for a legal action for telling his wife about his proven extramarital affair. he is having an affair with our friends hence we need to tell his wife about it so he stops. can he really possibly sue my sister for telling the truth?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What exactly is the threat of legal action for - to tell someone they are having an affair?

Customer:

nothing specific he just said if my sister texts his wife once more then he will take legal actions because he didnt give my sister the right to meddle with them

Ben Jones :

there would be little that can be done in terms of suing and the only realistic action would be for harassment, for example if she continues to text them when she has been asked to stop. Even if she is telling the truth, if she is contacting them when they have asked her not to, it could amount to harassment and she should not continue. In these circumstances this is both a criminal and civil matter, where the police can be involved or they could take civil action for harassment. As such, if she has been specifically asked not to contact someone, she may best be advised to consider to stop contacting them in order to try and avoid any potential harassment issues

Customer:

even her wife didnt ask her to stop? is it still harassment if she replies to a question asked by his wife in search for truth? its only him thats asking my sister to stop not his wife.

Ben Jones :

if she is contacting her personally and she has not asked her to stop then it would still be ok, but for example if it is a general house contact which he has access to as well then he can ask to stop any further contact. So if he is not being contacted directly and she has not made a formal request for this to stop, it is unlikely he can take any action for harassment - he can threaten it all he wants but realistically there would be little he can do

Customer:

he is requesting my sister to stop contacting "his family" though his wife never said so. how can a request be made formal if you dont mind me asking? does texting count?

Ben Jones :

yes a direct request can be made that way, it does not have to be formal as in a letter, as long as the request is communicated to them

Customer:

ok thanks a lot. so let me just make this clear. if the wife still asks some question to my sister then its still okay for her to reply but she cant contact her via their landline number is XXXXX right? and my sister should now stop replying to this man who is threatening her because at the moment my sister is still replying to him trying to defend herself explaining she meant no harm but to just stop the affair.

Ben Jones :

she does not have to respond to him, even if he makes threats. She can continue contacting the woman directly, unless she personally asks her to stop, but try to avoid contacting her on a general number, like house landline

Customer:

ok thanks a lot. i think my sister just dont want to be thought of as an accomplice if she remained quiet about the affair especially because shes a god mother to this mans son and she just wants to keep her friend from this man. thank you

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best to you

Customer:

thanks