How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I have problems with my landlord. Our contract ends at the

Customer Question

I have problems with my landlord. Our contract ends at the end of March .I 've sent him a letter notifying for the end of tenancy and I asked him to give references for the NEW House that I have applied. My landlord just ignored me. I had no answer from him. Me and the reference Agency tried to contact him several times. He called me two days ago just to make an appointment with me for someone to come in the House because he wants to sell it. At the end he told me that it's not his Legal responsibility to give me references and I can rent a House without them. I called the Agency and they told that without the landlords references I won't pass the reference check. I tried to explain to him that I can't rent the House. I also explained that I can't Live on the road with two kids and I asked for the reason that he doen't give the references. I was an excellent tenant paying my rent and bills on time, keeping the Property clean and tidy and being friendly with the neighbours. He is actually doing a big mess without a reason. I had a call from him shouting to me and hanging up the phone in my face. That's the second time that he is mistreating me. What should I do next?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Your old landlord is under no legal obligation to provide you with a reference unless it was previously agreed in writing (either a tenancy agreement or other document). So, if you do not have such an agreement you cannot insist on a reference and there is no ground to legally challenge this decision.

I'm sorry that this answer will not help you, but this is the legal position I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.


A reference letter from my prior landlord is one of the most critical documents I can use as a renter to prove my legitimacy as a reliable tenant.And it's the only paper that I am waiting-as everything else is ready- to rent my new house and to take over my new role in my company. There is no reason and no evidence for no reference.I looked after the property so well that it's in better condition than the landlord left it last year and I have all the bank statements that prove that I paid my rent on time.


A no reference can spell disaster in my life.I will stay homeless with two kinds and without job. My question here is how am I protected from a bad landlord?His behaviour and character is really bad and he seems to enjoy what he is doing.What are my rights? Why does he have all this power in my life and how does he have the right to ruin it?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
I accept everything you say. Unfortunately there are good landlords and bad ones.

But I can only inform you of the legal position which is that a landlord is not obliged to provide a reference even though you have clearly been a model tenant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does this mean that the law is not doing anything wiith bad landlords?I am not asking about the landlord's legal obligation to provide or not a reference.I would like to know what are my rights and how am I protected from a bad landlord?A no reference is an indirect false and damaging allegation that I have done something wrong and I am unreliable and affects negatively my life.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure how else I can answer your question.

You have the right to request a reference. But the landlord does not have to give one.

The law protects you from unlawful eviction and poor accomodation etc. But the law in this country does not say that a landlord must give a reference when you ask for one.

The law might change in the future - but that's the legal position at present.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Stella

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice