tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

i joined a usa website for a trial and have been trying

i joined a usa website for a trial period and have been trying everything i can do to cancell the membership so i do not have to pay a monthly subscription but none of the websites billings merchants have my membership details they are all in the usa and im now facing paying a monthly sunbscriotion that is impossible to cancell what ca i do?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

How did you pay for it, direct debit or credit/debit card?

Customer:

i paid with a credit card

tdlawyer :

Okay, and have you given notice that you wish to cancel via email or their online services?

Customer:

i tried to cancell via the online forms they provide but all said they couldnt find my details so i had to email them which i did but the one deals with international customers have no details and the other one that the website states i should contact has just confiemed they do not deal with the website

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then the next thing for you to do is notify the card company and tell them you've cancelled it but that they may still take payment, and they should prevent the payment being taken. Alternatively, if you cancel the card, say your details have been obtained by others, then they will cancel the card (and its number etc) and you will get a new card and new card numbers which will prevent the payments being taken on the old card details.

Customer:

will that effect the terms and conditions that if you dont cancell before the trial period is over they automaticlyy convert you to a full membership?

Customer:

i surpose that if i cancel my credit card if the website want the money they will contact me and i may finally get some comunication from them

Customer:

and find out who i need to deal with

tdlawyer :

That depends on what they say, but usually they try and lock you into at least a month-by-month subscription, but you need to get the T&Cs to find out what you've agreed to. Maybe a way to do that would be to go through the sign-up process up until the point of reading the T&Cs again.

tdlawyer :

Yes, that's very true!

Customer:

terms and conditions say that i must cancel with the billing merchant not the website but as i said the billing merchants are claiming they have no details of my membership or my trasaction so i should just cancel my cc ?

Customer:

and the website stated what name would appeaer on my account but it was a different name

Customer:

a name of a company i cannot contact

tdlawyer :

Then so long as you do what the T&Cs say, the website cannot come back to you and say you haven't cancelled, as you have, by doing the very thing they asked you to do - i.e. to give notice to the merchant. They cannot later complaint they didn't know about that.

tdlawyer :

It sounds very odd to be fair - but all you can do is give the notice and cancel the card.

tdlawyer :

It looks like it could potentially be a scam perhaps.

Customer:

i think im going to cancel my card on monday

tdlawyer :

You could do it sooner - they usually have 24 hour cancellation centres.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything more that you would like me to answer for you?

Customer:

no i think u have put my mind at rest

Customer:

thank you

tdlawyer :

Thank you too. Have a great weekend.

tdlawyer :

Please remember to rate the answer for me.