UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Can I arrange for a will to be draw up for my daughter who

Customer Question

Can I arrange for a will to be draw up for my daughter who lives abroad
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you may arrange for a draft Will to be drawn up here for your daughter to review overseas and sign. There is no problem with that. The Will should state that it should be interpreted under English law if that is the intention and it should be attested in accordance with English law if that is the case.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, she does not want her husband to know about the will, which is where I come in, so is it possible to have the will draw up on her instructions, and then for a friend to take it overseas for signature.

Yes, this is fine.

all the best
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
HiI am afraid that no reputable lawyer will take instructions from you on a Will for your daughter to sign - and on top of that there is the issue of whether or not the Will will be valid in the country in which your daughter lives.If your daughter does wish to have a UK Will drawn up then whilst you can certainly speak to a solicitor here yourduaghter will also have to speak to them either by phone or Skype to confirm her identity and instructions.Alternatively there are online services she can useClare
I am afraid my colleague has overlooked the fact that Will writing is not the preserve of lawyers, and as I explained, the Will should state that it should be interpreted in accordance with English law and witnessed under English rules. There is nothing stopping the Will being drafted here and signed by your daughter overseas as long as she is happy with the contents of the Will and freely executes it. Your daughter may also communicate with whoever drafts the Will here by email or letter, she is not obliged to communicate by phone only as advised by my colleague.
Lawyer or Will Writer - both will need to ensure that they are acting for your daughter - as I am sure you understand.
When speaking to whoever you instruct go prepared to discuss how they can establish that your daughter is who you and she says she is so that they can satisfy the standard anti money laundering legislation-
Will writers are not subject to Anti Money Laundering Regulations, see here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/getstarted/register/tcsp.htmMy colleague is being over cautious I am afraid and biased from a lawyers point of view without understanding that Will writing is not the preserve of lawyers.Apologies if you get confused.