tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I purchased a second hand car in July 2013, on 30september

Customer Question

I purchased a second hand car in July 2013, on 30september it broke down, I took it to an independent Garage and its been there since nearly 5months , they never put dioagnostic test on said it was torche convertor then replaced gear box with reconditioned one then they said it was engine so put recon one in everytime I call or go in they say itll be 2 weeks and this week been told end of month the cost is going up and up over 4 figures now I feel been ripped off. I did inform trader I bought it off and sent email and he offered me a £300 gesture of goodwill payment which I refused. i have not had a car its inconvienient and wonder what my next steps should be can you advise me please ,
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Have you actually agreed to have certain works done to it?

JACUSTOMER-j7rrtwgy- :

I did the gear box at first because he said that was the problem after he put reconditioned one in the noise was still there and I questioned whether he misdiagnosed it because he admitted not putting diagnostic test on he said needs new engine as gear box damaged the engine all though I could change my gears before when I took it in garage it was the noise which was problem

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then the issue is whether that repair, and other repairs, are necessary and when you get the vehicle back. Did you agree any time period?

JACUSTOMER-j7rrtwgy- :

everytime I speak to mechanic he keeps telling me different things he says it will be done then he puts me off saying waiting for bolts , didn't expect it to be nearly 5 months

tdlawyer :

Then you need to ask for the vehicle back, it's the only way by the sounds of it. Pay for the work you have agreed to, and only that, get the car back and take it to somebody else, that you have faith in.

JACUSTOMER-j7rrtwgy- :

im worried now about the costs arrising

tdlawyer :

Thats why you need to ask him for it back!

tdlawyer :

You sound like you agreed some work, and that you will have to pay for to get it back. If it turns out you shouldn't have paid, because the diagnosis was way off, or wrong, then you can always sue for that to be paid back if you need to, but the focus now has to be on resolving the issue and getting your vehicle back and avoid any extra costs.

JACUSTOMER-j7rrtwgy- :

if he waiting for bolts it wont be drivable though would it , is the trader at all at fault selling me the car?

tdlawyer :

He might be at fault yes, in the sense that it sounds like it was not fit for purpose nor of satisfactory quality. Whether its of the right quality depends on its age and what you paid and the description etc. In other words, if you were buying something you knew had issues you cannot complain now, but if you didn't, then you should be able to complain!

JACUSTOMER-j7rrtwgy- :

okay thank you very much at least I'm a bit clearer to where I stand .

tdlawyer :

Is there anything you would like me to explain more or otherwise assist with?

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else you would like me to answer for you?