tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hello, How do I apply to a court for help in recovering money

How do I apply to a court for help in recovering money owed to me by a friend ?.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

You can issue a claim online to recover the money due to you at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

tdlawyer :

The issue fee for a claim of the size you're taking about is £27. This is the online fee, it is cheaper than doing it on paper in a local court.

Customer:

It appears that this is going to cost me a lot of money, money I don't really have. I am a pensioner

Customer:

and on limited income, I am worried that I will have nothing left of the money owed to me,

tdlawyer :

You can get a fee remission if you write to the Court, which I believe you can do via the online version, requesting it if you are on limited income and connote afford the court fee.

Customer:

and am thinking that it might be better to forget the whole thing, after all I have been trying to get my

Customer:

money back, and failed.

tdlawyer :

Whether you forget it or not is entirely up to you. It's a personal choice. There is hassle and effort that needs to go into issuing a claim, but there is no real way around that I'm afraid.

tdlawyer :

You could potentially sell your debt to a collection agency and let them do the chasing. They might pay you a percentage of what they recover - so you share in the proceeds. That is another option for you. But all options do involve some hassle I'm afraid.

Customer:

Thank you for your help, but being in my mid 70's I really do not want anymore hassle than I already have had to put up with from the people who owe me the money. I am afraid I am going to have to face the fact that I have lost £500.00 . Mike.