75100385

I booked an apartment in Portugal last October for 5 weeks

I booked an apartment in Portugal last October for 5 weeks this coming summer. The lady agreed a £4000 fee for the 5 weeks and we paid £800 deposit immediately and another £600 this week. I have received a email to say she has now sold the apartment (we had no knowledge it was up for sale) and cannot fulfil the booking and wants to return our deposits.
My questions are: We have booked several flights and so have two families who were going to be staying with us, do we have any rights to claiming the cost of these?
Also if we can secure another apartment on the same development which looks unlikely as its for 5 weeks we will have to pay at least another £1000 more, can we also claim this cost?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you have insurance and how did you pay for the apartment?
Customer:

Hi Alex, yes we have travel insurance with our bank account Nat West and we paid the deposits by direct bank transfer from our current account

Customer:

Hi Alex,

Alex Watts :

Does your insurance not cover the cancellation please, if that was to occur? Are they based in the UK?