tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Can I get a harassment order against my parents, I no longer

Can I get a harassment order against my parents, I no longer live with my parents as I now live with my partner, I am in a same sex relationship and my parents never accepted it, I gave them up to 9 months of my relationship to come to terms with it and accept it, they never could accept it so I moved in with my partner. My mum mainly was so unaccepting and cruel to me and my partner about our sexuality so I told both my parents and my family never to contact me again (all of my family have been so unaccepting of my sexuality, then in September 2013 my mum was constantly texting and calling me and my partner on our mobile phones, these were unwanted contact so both my partner and I changed our numbers, just recently, as recent as December my mum has somehow got hold of our house landline and keep constantly calling, even though the calls are unwanted, she has turned up to my workplace and where I play football to give me unwanted gifts... Is there anything I can do? I have told them I.never want contact with them because they made me and my partner so miserable and unhappy, we need help and advice. Benita
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

In short, yes, you can seek such an order in the circumstances. The order would be one made by a civil court under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

tdlawyer :

However, you should be aware that under the 1997 Act, this form of harassment is a criminal offence too.

tdlawyer :

Therefore, it is open to you to report it to the police.

tdlawyer :

If you do that, then the police will visit them first and warn them against continuing to harass you. They do not arrest/charge immediately; a warning happens first.

tdlawyer :

Most people opt to purse via the police because it costs nothing.

tdlawyer :

And to be fair, it can be more effective when a uniformed police offer attends to warn somebody not to do something.

tdlawyer :

However, you can go down the Court route as an alternative if you wish to.

Customer: That's the answer I was hoping to get, we are going to speak to the police tomorrow and see if we can go ahead with all of that, we have told them time and time again to leave us alone and they don't so we will take the legal route. Thank you for your advice
tdlawyer :

You are more than welcome.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything more I can assist you with tonight?

tdlawyer :

Does this answer your question?

Customer: No the answers you have given me total satisfaction and has helped me with a question I've not been able to finswers for, this is perfect, that is all for tonight, thank you so much for your advice
tdlawyer :

Thank you again.

tdlawyer :

Have a peaceful evening.