12826847

Good eveningBox Junctions - I was recently involved in

Good evening Box Junctions - I was recently involved in an accident when crossing a signalled box junction. I passed through a green traffic signal at the junction, but, because my exit was not clear, I paused on the edge of the yellow box; this was some six metres further on from the traffic signal stop line. Once my exit was clear I proceeded across the junction and was about 80% of the way across when I was truck on the near side by a vehicle entering the box junction from the road to my left. I sustained damage to the side of my car the third party to the front. The third party claims that I must have driven through a red light because the green filter light was in her favour when she was turning left into the junction. It is possible that the signal behind me changed to red whilst I was on the junction, I'm not sure. If it did, should I have "stayed put" on the edge of the yellow box, or, was I right to proceed having crossed the signal stop line some way behind me, when the signal was green? Can I claim that the third party wrong to have entered the box junction when another (my) vehicle was obstructing her exit? I have photographic evidence which shows clearly the impact point on the side of my vehicle and that both cars were on the crosshatched area of the junction. Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer. Brian XXXXX

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay overnight.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to know what the law is regarding ones conduct once a box junction has been entered.

Q1 - If the traffic signal behind me has changed from green to red whilst waiting on the edge of the yellow hatched area, is it permissible to continue across the junction if my exit is clear, or should I wait for the signal to turn green again?

I presume that your question relates to the outcome of the civil matter?

You are not being prosecuted for entering a box junction by the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it relates to the outcome of the civil matter - I am attempting to recover my uninsured losses. I'm not being prosecuted by the police.

The third party has a witness, who, from what he said at the time of the accident, may claim that I proceeded across the junction when the red signal was against me. Because I stopped on the edge of the yellow hatched area, this may have been the case, the signals may have changed while I was waiting. I definitely did not cross the traffic signal stop line while the signal was red.

The fact that that it was the only car running into the side of yours certainly helps you.

This is one of those situations where it is likely that both of you entered the junction on a green light even though the green light subsequently changed colour.

A green light is an indication that you can go but only that you can go if the way ahead is clear!

Please note the legal situation is not that the box must be clear but that your exit must be clear. In other words, you must be able to get out the box once the traffic in the box has moved. The fact that you may have been in the junction or the other car was in the junction when the exit was not clear is not fatal to either claim.

I think what is fatal to the other claim is the fact that you were and these are the words which are used “Firmly established in position on the road”, although your claim is weaker if the other car collided with the front corner of the wing as opposed to colliding square on the side or towards the rear.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this - just a little further clarification please.

Are we saying that:

if the exit is not clear, one should not proceed past the signal stop line even though the signal is green, or,

if the exit is not clear, one can pass the signal stop line but not proceed further than the edge of the yellow hatched box some six to eight metres further into the junction?

How are the edges of a box junction defined?

Is it the the area enclosed by the stop signal lines, or,

is it the area enclosed by the yellow box itself?

If the latter is true, is the edge of the yellow box also controlled by the signal?

In this case when I passed the green light the last vehicle from the previous phase of the signals was exiting the far side of the boxed junction. It then stopped just outside the yellow box blocking my exit. It was for this reason that I stopped after passing the green signal but before entering my side of the yellow box.

What I am not clear about is this.

Had I realised the signals on my side had changed back to red, if they had, should I have waited on the edge of the yellow box until they changed to green again in my favour, or, having already passed the signal on green was it okay to proceed as my exit was now clear?

It is the yellow area which is relevant for the offence of entering if the exit is not clear. NB it is the exit which must be clear, not the path to the exit.

Even if the light is green a driver should not enter the box unless the exit is clear

Not withstanding green lights, the user is still under duty to remain aware.

The yellow box and signal are totally separate. It is stop lines which are relevant to lights.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help Jo, this concludes my questions. Your answers were very clear and I now have a better understanding of the situation I find myself in.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hear it

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/