75100385

my mother lives in a retirement flat in crosby and has been

my mother lives in a retirement flat in crosby and has been told by the onsite manager there that she cannot use the laundery facilities there any more because her wheel chair causes damage to the laundery door!!! when she bought the flat back in 2010 after the death of my father and to be closer to her family, she was not told at any time that she would not be able to use this facility at any time because of her wheel chair in fact she was told about all the facilities that was available to use,she pays a £127 a month for these and other facilities in the flats and that was one of the reasons she bought it,they have surggested to her that she pays her cleaner to do it at a cost of what we recon would be £15 a week this is not acceptable as she already pays for this in her service charge,she is fully capable of doing her laundery and finds this is a form of change of scenery for her as she does not get out much if the weather is bad or even if its to cold,can you please advise me on what her stand is with regards XXXXX XXXXX matter please.

yours a concerned son Mr Glyn Takacs.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is there anything in the contract about this?
Customer:

no,there is no mention of it at all,she has been doing her own washing for the last 3 years with no problem,it was only brought to lite last September when a few of the residents complained about the paint work being damaged on the laundery door,the way i see it Hanover the management team for the flats should of taken this into account when they first built the building and to accommadate for all needs.Mr G Takacs

Alex Watts :

Then they can not force this to happen.

Alex Watts :

This is because of the Equality Act 2010 just because someone is disabled they can not discriminate on that basis

Alex Watts :

They have to make reasonable adjustments.

Alex Watts :

They can not just say you are in a wheelchair you can not use the facilities - this is illega.

Alex Watts :

illegal

Alex Watts :

You should write and formally complain and say they are in breach of the Equality Act 2010

Alex Watts :

If they do not do anything then you can complain to the Equality Commission

Alex Watts :

They are based at:

Alex Watts :

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/

Alex Watts :

They can investigate the complaint and then prosecute if necessary.

Alex Watts :