UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello. Am in the course of buying a 15 year, full n insuring,

Customer Question

Hello. Am in the course of buying a 15 year, full n insuring, new lease of a hotel for Pds 30000 from the freehold of the hotel owner. Who is responsible for insuring the building of the hotel. ( knowing that I will be responsible for the content, or any repair such as roof, lift, central heating ,upgrade of fire regulation or any defective repair within the hotel and or building.) RGDS W Choy
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The freeholder is usually responsible for insuring the building structure and claim the insurance premiums from yourself through the service charge or direct payment.

It should be mentioned in your lease who is responsible for what e.g. freeholder responsible for building insurance and you (the leaseholder) responsible for reimbursement of the building insurance premium to the freeholder.

If in doubt, you should seek clarification from the freeholder.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so basically there are 2 insurance policy. one for t building only( once lease is sold to me) n bought by t freeholdiwner. N I , t new leasee, would hv to buy a seperate police to cover t content . Rgds W Choy
Yes, that is correct.

All the best