Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

i believe my deceased father held shares. how can i find o

i believe my deceased father held shares. how can i find out
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Do you have any clue as to which companies he may have held shares in or just a general suspicion that he may have held shares please?

Joshua :

Would these have been publicly traded companies?

Customer:

I am afraid i have no details. His name was Graham Ivey RULE

Joshua :

Thanks. Tracing shares is not quite as straightforward as bank accounts for which there is a relatively user friendly system in place. However providing you are prepared to put a little time and effort in it is quite possible.

Joshua :

There are three main registrars that manage the shares of the overwhelming majority of FTSE companies. These are:

Joshua :

http://www.capitaregistrars.com/

Joshua :

http://www.computershare.com/

Joshua :

http://www.equiniti.com/

Joshua :

You can write to each of them and provide any information which you do have (or not if you don't) and ask them to conduct a search for any holdings your father may have had.

Joshua :

You will need to give them a) a certified copy of your fathers death certificate which you can ask them to return b) confirmation that you act as your fathers executor or adminstrator (either a copy of his will or copy of grnat of probate will suffice for this c) set out your fathers full name and any other names he may have been known by together with his address and any previous addresses he may have lived at in the last 10 years or any period during which he may have held shares.

Joshua :

They can conduct a search of their records and notify you if they have located any holdings. A search of his papers will also often reveal useful information such a old dividend payments or posssibly share certificates.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

No Thanks

Joshua :

I hope you are successful in tracking down some holdings.

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.