UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My father died 3weeks ago l found out 2 weeks ago via a solicitor

Customer Question

My father died 3weeks ago l found out 2 weeks ago via a solicitor working for a brother and sister with a small amount of money left for me in his will l hadnt seen my father for 20 years because he abused me when l was a child and teenager and l had a child by him l was made to promise not to tell anyone for fear of putting my 4brothers and 4sisters into care over the years lm now 64 as my siblings found out they turn against me my question is am l allowed to see his will find out about his estate as l feel he owes me if theirs anything left
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

UKSolicitorJA :

UKSolicitorJA :

You may ask the Solicitor for a copy of your late father's Will to be given to you, if you are not given the copy, you may search the Probate Registry as the Will becomes a public document once Probate is granted and anyone can look at it.

UKSolicitorJA :

You may challenge the Will within 6 months of grant of probate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act but there is no moral right to leave anything for children, so if you feel you have not been provided for adequately in the Will, I am afraid you will have a difficult time challenging it unless there is a good reason for you to do so.

UKSolicitorJA :

e.g. if you were financially dependent on your father or if you were disabled. It will be difficult for you to challenge the Will on the basis that you were abused by him especially as this was not reported to the Police.

UKSolicitorJA :

Probate Registry search details here: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

UKSolicitorJA :

Hope this helps