Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

My ex husband is suing me for half of my two properties. he

My ex husband is suing me for half of my two properties. he does pay maintenance, I have one child at university and one under 18. What does the law say concerning my situation
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thank you for your question. Can you provide some more information. How long were you married? What other assets do you each have? What financial contributions did you each make during th marriage?
Please let me have some more background.

I notice your question seems to come form Ghana. Ar you based in the UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am currently on holiday in Ghana but I am based in the UK. My ex and I were married for 21 years and separated firstly for 6months in 2006 and for two years from 2009 to 2011. I bought the right to buy property in 1995, he wrote to the mortgage lenders and my solicitors stating that he was giving up all rights to the property, before I purchased the property, however we were still married and living together. I bought the second property in 2003, and have been paying the mortgage on my own since. We divorced in 2012 when I received the degree absolute. He moved out in 2009 and filed for divorce.

Ok thanks but what other assets do you have between you and what financial contribution did you each make? Did he earn money and contribute to the household during the marriage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, he said he was studying law so I had to work to pay the mortgage and bills. He started giving me £150 a week towards the shopping from 2008- Jan 2010, he never contributed to the household bills. He opened a bogus law firm and was convicted for practising law without a license,I recently discovered that he has invested £27000 in an ISA account with the Halifax. I have no other asset and no savings apart from the two properties. I am the only one who takes care of my kids. I know that he used our joint names to acquire a property which I reported to a solicitor, I asked him to sell it, not wanting to get him in trouble with the law. He pretended to sell it and used an alias to buy the property back.

thanks. When a marriage is dissolved the court will look to make a fair division of the matrimonial assets taking into account a number of factor sin clouding the needs of the parties and their children, the length of the marriage, the overall assets so on. After a relatively lengthy marriage the chances are that he is entitled to a share of the overall assets but on the basis of what you say it is unlikely to be half. I would suggest that if he has brought a claim then you need to get a solicitor to help you formulate a response. You do not say what the equity in the properties is but of course any property he owns and his ISA also needs to be taken into account.