29905560

I worked as a practice nurse for 6yrs. in two practices. i

I worked as a practice nurse for 6yrs. in two practices. i made three attempts to register for the final year, but needed referees as payment was late. i then made a bad judgement call and worked for approx 6months to a year without registration, always hoping it would be sorted soon. i didnt want to let the practices down or clients. i now realise the seriousness of what has occured and for the last 17 months have been unemployed. no action was taken against me, but when i speak to NMC registrations they say i can reapply for registration but my case may be investigated. i have tried looking for different careers with no luck but my heart is really in nursing. i also find it difficult speaking to potential employers about my reasons for leaving one of the positions, as i had a compromised agreement. (i was suspended for 6 months of the unregistered year, for other reason with no outcome). this made me delay my application. i hope you can advised me as i would like to reregister and continue working as a nurse, or whether the consequences may be too high and i risk going to prison or a criminal record. i had made three attempts to re register with payment whilst employed but because of late payment needed references. I have asked advice from several agencies including CAB, RCN cant help because im not a member, and CAB were unsure of what to advise. hope you can help. Thankyou

Ben Jones :

Hello. Do you have a specific question about this?

Customer:

i would like to know if i am at risk of going to prison, what the consequences may be and would i be better looking for another career.

Ben Jones :

OK, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this with me - I will look into this for you, get my response ready and get back to you on here. No need to wait around and you will get an email when I have responded, thank you

Customer:

Ben Jones :

Thanks for your patience. As you may already know, it is illegal to work as a nurse without being on the NMC register. However, being imprisoned for working without being on the register is very unlikely. The usual consequences are that you may find it difficult to be enrolled back on to the register, or at least would have some explaining to do, or that you will find employers that are made aware of this are likely to look at it unfavourably. The NMC can report this to the police but it is rare that prosecutions are brought and it usually only results in a fine anyway.

You can read some more details on this issue here (the relevant section for the NMC is on page 9):

http://www.professionalstandards.org.uk/docs/psa-library/protecting-the-public-from-unregistered-practitioners---good-practice-report.pdf?sfvrsn=0

You will see that the usual outcome is a fine, which will be determined by the seriousness of the offence.

I cannot advise whether you should look for another career or not as there is no guarantee that you will never be able to work in this industry again, so you may at least want to try and salvage this career before choosing all is lost and switching to something else.

Customer:

Thank u

Ben Jones :

You are welcome