29905560

if I interview a male who is waering earings am I allowed to

if I interview a male who is waering earings am I allowed to ask him if they would / could be removed?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you explain your situation a little more please?

Customer:

If I interview a male candiate of an office role and he attends the interview with earings in I am allowed to ask him if he would / could remove them for the role?

Ben Jones :

What type of a job is this for?

Ben Jones :

Well you answer your query anyway, it is entirely possible to ask someone at interview if they would be prepared to remove their earrings if they were to get the job. Asking such questions would not be unlawful. Although you have to consider the following:

• What is the reason for wearing the earrings?

• If the reason is a religious or race-related, then it could be potential discrimination if you ask them to remove such jewellery. For example someone wearing earrings because of religious reasons would not expect to be treated differently because of this so you would have to approach the matter a nit more sensitively.

• In any event, if there is a requirement to remove such jewellery for health and safety reasons it would be acceptable for you to ask for its removal, even if this is for religious purposes, as long as the same policy is applied equally to everyone else.

Subject to the above considerations it is possible and legal to ask someone to remove their facial jewellery, earrings, etc and you may even refuse to offer them the job if they stat they are not prepared to remove them.

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?