75100385

How do I report a scam in which somebody is masquerading as

How do I report a scam in which somebody is masquerading as the Inland Revenue. It has cost us £500 and Lloyds Bank is not interested in assisting us?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You need to report it to the Police.

Alex Watts :

If this came via email it is called phishing.

Alex Watts :

But report it to your local Police who compile all the reports and send on to Serious Crime Agencies.

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Remember HMRC and Lloyds will NEVER ask for personal information

Customer:

The form mentioned appeared to come from the Inland Revenue as my husband was attempting to complete his tax return before the deadline of Jan 31st. It appeared to be identical apart from the one detail, which asked when he started working for himself. In all other respects it seemed to be the standard Inland Revenue form. Is there any way in which he can get his money back. Apparently since then Money Box has warned people that there is a scam .

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Alex Watts :

NEVER respond or click links in these emails.

Alex Watts :

ALWAYS go to the Bank or HMRC website directly in your browser.

Customer:

He went straight to The Inland Revenue website. He used to be a Systems Analyst so he is cautious always.

Customer:

How can we prove that it was a scam .How do we regain our £5oo?

Alex Watts :

How did you pay the £500?

Customer:

By debit card.

Alex Watts :

Sadly only you can report this to the Police.

Alex Watts :

If you had paid by CREDIT CARD then you could have claimed.

Alex Watts :

You can try the bank and take it to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

But sadly I dont think the bank did anything wrong.

Alex Watts :

However you should report it to the Police as it could be traced.

Customer:

Initially the bank agreed that it was a scam,as they, like us were unable to locate the website. However on the next communication with Lloyds, they had changed their mind and were adamant that we had accepted as service offered by this company,s i

Alex Watts :

Yes, report it to the Police and then Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Customer:

Since in the meantime the company had put up a disclaimer suggesting that they were offering a service and my husband had accepted this. At no time did he need a service as he has completed this tax form many times previously.so, although he refuted this with Lloyds,eventually they gave him the details of the company. He then contacted them and they denied that their message had been posted after he had completed the form and of course refused to return his money. so it seems to be a fait a compli and we will just have to accept that we have been swindled.

Alex Watts :

Ok - he could sue them using the small claims using: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Alex Watts :

Its a quick process

Customer:

How could we prove that we had not accepted a service and were simply completing what we thought was a bonafide form?

Alex Watts :

You can just say that it is was not obvious it was genuine.

Alex Watts :

Or report it to Trading Standards or the Police

Customer:

It was not obvious that the form was genuine or that it was not obvious that the form wasn't genuine?

Alex Watts :

You have rated poor service?

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

my fault, I thought I had sent my reply and I hadn't. Thank you that was helpful