Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have joint power of attorney over my Aunts financal affairs.

I have joint power of attorney over my Aunt's financal affairs. It states that both people can act together and severally on any and all matters. My Aunt has two bank accounts. The Halifax has accepted that I can act on my own to manage her account. However, HSBC will not register my power of attorney unless the other party is also registered. As the power of attorney states that I can act indipendently. Can the HSBC prevent me?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

HSBC can not/should not refuse to register the power of Attorney. Unfortunately, when it comes to Powers of Attorney many Bank staff lack the legal understanding and training to know exactly what it means and what the difference between "jointly" and "jointly and severally" mean.

I suggest that you go back to HSBC and if they still refuse to register it on their system that you ask for a copy of their complaints procedure. You will then need to follow this procedure and if you are still without luck, you would need to complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

I hope this sets out the legal position to you.

Kind Regards
AL