tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

My daughter has been wrongly accused of theft at the hospital

Customer Question

My daughter has been wrongly accused of theft at the hospital where she is working as an agency staff nurse. She has been qualified for 10 years and has never come across something like this before. the police searched her and found nothing and the only basis for the accusation seems to be that hers was the only bag in the staff room that had not had money stolen, when all the others had. she was accused by a PC in a corridor in front of colleagues and patients. she is 6 months pregnant and was coming to the end of a 2nd 12 hours shift in intesive care. She has been told to own up and it would make things better for her. she is frightened for her reputation and her future career. what should she do?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Who was it that told her to "own up"?

Customer:

the police constable

Customer:

in front of the site manager

Customer:

Her agency wants her to send them a statement of her "version of events" - she is not sure that she should - would they pass this on to the police?

tdlawyer :

Okay. With no evidence, the police can do very little, as you would imagine.

tdlawyer :

She can give her version and events and, from an employment perspective, probably should, but yes, there is every possibility this will fall into the hands of the police and she needs to appreciate that when preparing anything for her employer.

Customer:

She was questionned in the corridor and was repeatedly told that it would be better if she confessed because she had never been in trouble before. It felt like intimidation. she is innocent, so her major concern is her professional reputation.

Customer:

or being "fitted up"

Customer:

Should she go to a solicitor and ask them to review her statement before it goes to her employer?

tdlawyer :

Well, clearly, that's wrong and unacceptable. She shouldn't be treated like this. Is she concerned about her position with her employer?

Customer:

Yes, she is. She has recently returned to the UK and is currently an agency nurse whilst she is pregnant, but is hoping to return to full time employment after the birth and had hoped to work at this hospital. she has been working hard to build up a good reputation there.

tdlawyer :

Okay. How long has she worked there for?

Customer:

since September, regularly 2 x 12 hour shifts per week

tdlawyer :

Okay, so less than year?

Customer:

Yes.

tdlawyer :

Okay. She could go ahead and get a solicitor to look at what she proposes saying to the employer. There is no harm in that whatsoever. It's perhaps better to make sure there is no obvious sign a solicitor is involved though, my feeling (if I were an employer) is perhaps that it might be a little over the top and unnecessary to get lawyers involved. So beware of that potential perception.

tdlawyer :

It might help her get her point across though, and from a police perspective, it's good to know that she will not say anything that would put her into difficulty with the police.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a solicitor to check it over.

tdlawyer :

You're more than welcome.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else you would like me to answer for you?

Customer:

I'm not sure, I think her major worry is what other people at work will think of her. The site manager obviously thought she was guilty. I think we will complain to the Police complaints commission - but not yet!

Customer:

And, of course, she is worried she won't be offered any more agency work.

tdlawyer :

There is little she can do about what others think, apart from give her side of things, and hope that people see the right things. That's the same for the agency. I believe that if she puts her position well, with the help of a solicitor, she should be okay. At the end of the day, they searched her and found nothing. They have no evidence and can prove nothing. People can't be judged simply on assumptions.

Customer: