Hi, I have a lodger living in my house, she has been unbearable,

Hi, I have a lodger living in my house, she has been unbearable, untidy and verbaly abusive. When we agreed for her to move in, which was a favour as she had been asked to leave her last place, she qould have been made homeless, so my friend asked me to take her in. As she did not have a deposite i use her first month rent ammount as one, therefore her 2nd months being for the first months rent. The arrangement has been a knightmare and since i gave her notice she has become unbearable, ther is 10 days left but she has decided to leave in 2 days and has requested her full deposite back on that day before 1pm. My lodger is aware that due to work commitments that it would not be poasable for me to do that, what are my rights and hers and do i charge her fo the final weeks notice?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is she working ?

Does she have assets?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes she works tho is leaving her job,the room is fully furnished, she has no assets

There are really two issues here. The first is the legal theory. The second is the practice.

You are entitled to enforce the notice period against her. The fact that she chooses to leave during the notice period doesn't mean she doesn't have to pay for the full period.

Also if there are arrears on the rent then you do not have to return the deposit.

In practice though, of you are saying the deposit sum would not cover the arrears then you need to consider whether she is worth pursuing. You can sue her here

However, if she's not working and has no assets then you will probably only get about £20 a month. Its easy enough to get judgment but people living on benefits very rarely actually pay a judgment.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank, has been stressfull and will not do again, will i get this in an email as i have never use this service b4 andwould like to keep the answer.
I do think its emailed to you although you can check that with customer services [email protected]

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile