How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69251
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, I have a lodger living in my house, she has been unbearable,

Resolved Question:

Hi, I have a lodger living in my house, she has been unbearable, untidy and verbaly abusive. When we agreed for her to move in, which was a favour as she had been asked to leave her last place, she qould have been made homeless, so my friend asked me to take her in. As she did not have a deposite i use her first month rent ammount as one, therefore her 2nd months being for the first months rent. The arrangement has been a knightmare and since i gave her notice she has become unbearable, ther is 10 days left but she has decided to leave in 2 days and has requested her full deposite back on that day before 1pm. My lodger is aware that due to work commitments that it would not be poasable for me to do that, what are my rights and hers and do i charge her fo the final weeks notice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is she working ?

Does she have assets?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes she works tho is leaving her job,the room is fully furnished, she has no assets
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

There are really two issues here. The first is the legal theory. The second is the practice.

You are entitled to enforce the notice period against her. The fact that she chooses to leave during the notice period doesn't mean she doesn't have to pay for the full period.

Also if there are arrears on the rent then you do not have to return the deposit.

In practice though, of you are saying the deposit sum would not cover the arrears then you need to consider whether she is worth pursuing. You can sue her here

However, if she's not working and has no assets then you will probably only get about £20 a month. Its easy enough to get judgment but people living on benefits very rarely actually pay a judgment.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69251
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank, has been stressfull and will not do again, will i get this in an email as i have never use this service b4 andwould like to keep the answer.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I do think its emailed to you although you can check that with customer services [email protected]

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice