How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69266
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I have recently had a traffic collision with a drunk

Resolved Question:

Hello, I have recently had a traffic collision with a drunk driver. the driver was arrested and taken away at the scene. My Insurance company is putting a claim forward for damages etc. If there is a settlement for damages and reimbursement for the car if written off will i be able to take further civil action against the driver for example personal injury or negligence or anything else separately?

I was not at fault, the driver should not have been on the road and i fear the driver will be at a loss. My car for example was reasonable rare in terms of condition etc.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What loss have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI Jo,


Losses will be covered by insurance legal department. I meant that i will unfairly make a loss on my car as insurance companies rarely pay the value of the car. I want to know if i can take another legal action against the driver. I feel the driver was negligent as the driver while under the influence of alcohol would have increased thinking times etc. After settlement though the insurance company would i be able to then take civil action against the driver separately.


Im sorry if im not being clear i would like to know if the settlement would be final for all actions or are there additional actions i could take.



Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Provided you do not accept the money in full and final settlement, and only accept it as a part payment, you can still bring action for the balance against the individual.

If you were injured and suffered perhaps whiplash for instance then a solicitor who deals with compensation claims on a no win no fee basis is likely to deal with the car issue also as part of the overall claim. The amount of money that you would recover would not necessarily however get you another car of the same quality and condition the price you would get for the car is the price that would be paid by a willing buyer from a willing seller in practice is usually between retail and bottom book or the price that that private sale may go through.

People very often make the mistake of producing a whole load of adverts from eBay or auto Trader showing cars for sale. They are of little use unless you can also show the cars were sold at that price.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69266
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice