UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have been left a property by my father with a charge on it

I have been left a property by my father with a charge on it by the council who paid part of the residential home he was forced to go into fees, as he could not eat drink or walk the hospital said he would have to go into a home. it now owes about £66k and going up 8% per year interest, it is a Peveral home so I am paying fees £2600 per year to them and FULL council tax. I have run out of my dads money and I am a pensioner. I have been trying to sell his flat for 6 years but had no offers.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

What is your question please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been left a property by my father with a charge on it by the council who paid part of the residential home he was forced to go into fees, as he could not eat drink or walk the hospital said he would have to go into a home. it now owes about £66k and going up 8% per year interest, it is a Peveral home so I am paying fees £2600 per year to them and FULL council tax. I have run out of my dads money and I am a pensioner. I have been trying to sell his flat for 6 years but had no offers.Am I liable for all of this as the property is dtill registerd in my fathers name.

Is your father still alive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't find your answer !!

You are not liable to pay anything to the Council as your father's debts are his and not yours.

Normally, the council starts charging interest 56 days after the death of the person if the house has not been sold or the debt repaid.

You may stop making the payments to the council if you cannot afford to do so.
The council can claim the money when the property is sold, whenever that happens.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
How much is the property worth and why has it not been possible to sell it?