Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I RECIEVED A LETTER FROM MY CITY COUNICL BIRMINGHAM ADRESSED

I RECIEVED A LETTER FROM MY CITY COUNICL BIRMINGHAM ADRESSED TO THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY, STATING THAT IT HAS COME TO THERE ATTENTION THAT I DID NOT HAVE PERMISION FOR HAVING A NEW ROOF. I OWN THE PROPERTY AND WAS NOT AWARE THAT I NEEDED PERMISSION. THEY ARE SAYING I NEED TO TELL THEM WHO DID THE WORK AND ARE THEY REGISTERED. I HAVE NOT REPLED TO THE LETTER AS IT HAS NOT GOT MY NAME ON THE LETTER, MY QUESTION IS AM I IN THE WRONG FOR NOT REPLYING.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

For the avoidance of doubt have you replaced or had work carried out to your roof please?

Joshua :

If so has the new roof altered the height or elevation of your property roof?

Joshua :

Is the letter from building control or planning enforcement?

Joshua :

How long ago was work carried out?

Customer:

I have replaced the roof two years ago.

Customer:

Nothing has changed the roof was just replaced.

Customer:

BUILDING REGULATIONS (ACIVICO BUILDING CONSULTANCY)

Customer:

TWO YEARS AGO

Joshua :

thank you. you do not require planning permission usually for a replacement roof providing conditions are met in relation to the new work which essentially can be summarised in that the replacement roof must be like for like in terms of not projecting more than 150 mm beyond the elevation previous roof. however, building regulations do need to be complied with in respect of replacement roofs

Joshua :

for a full replacement roof, a building regulation application should have been submitted by the contractor and a building regulations completion certificate obtained.

Joshua :

You may wish to contact your contractor to ascertain why they did not do so if indeed they did not. Unfortunately, building regulations are only enforceable by the local authority for a period of 12 months from the completion date of work unless the local authority can demonstrate that the work in question is dangerous and therefore assuming that it is not dangerous, there is a limit to what the local authority through its building control department can do at this point

Joshua :

however, if you come to sell the property buyer will likely request a copy of the building regulations completion certificates in respect of the replacement roof work and if you are unable to supply a copy, this may cause the buyer some concern and therefore even though building regulations may not have been complied with at the time of the work, for this reason, you may wish to give some consideration to applying to the local authority for a retrospective completion certificate

Joshua :

is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Customer:

AM JUST CONCERED THAT IT DID NOT HAVE MY NAME ON THE LETTER.

Joshua :

I suspect this is simply because the sender has not bothered to do any research to find out who actually owns the property. I do not think this is nothing to be concerned about in and of itself however equally, I do not think the letter should be ignored.

Customer:

THANK YOU. THIS HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION.

Joshua :

A pleasure.If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?