UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

I have just got back from four weeks in Asia and Orange have

Customer Question

I have just got back from four weeks in Asia and Orange have charged me £940 for roaming charges. I did not make any calls but used text and wifi for Facebook. I did not know that if wifi was left switched on it was "roaming" and only logged on to free wifi in hotels. Orange are not interested in any explanations. What can I do?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this. Have you already paid the bill?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes as I understand that not paying mobile bills affects credit rating. But complaints person has recorded that I will make a complaint

Noted. What do you wish to achieve? Get some of your money back? If so, how much. Do you accept that you may have used the roaming service unwittingly by not turning off your data from your network which means that you may not have been using the free wifi but the roaming service?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am hoping that as Orange did not inform me I was running up a high bill until they cut my phone off that they also had a responsibility to me as their customer. My partner went abroad and immediately had a text from Vodaphone informing him of charges and alternative options which I did not get from Orange, I know some people have had most of their bill refunded on complaint. I understood if there was no free wifi through the resort then I was not connected to broadband and therefore I was not incurring charges

Noted. Orange appears not have the same customer care service as Vodafone but unfortunately that doesn't mean that it was legally obliged to inform you of charges and alternative options.

I would suggest that you raise a formal complaint to Orange in writing, see here for how to do so

If you still get no joy, you may take the matter further to an alternative dispute resolution scheme which is independent, see here for the CISAS scheme

You may get some or all of your money back eventually.

Hope this helps
If you still get no joy with CISAS, you may file a court claim against Orange for the refund of your money, the easiest way to do so is at
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It appears you have simply done what I had already found out. You have not really answered the legal question of what their legal responsibility is

I am afraid their legal responsibility is to provide a mobile communication service to you which they have done as you have not complained about failure on their part to provide the service.

The dispute here is about them saying you used roaming services while you say you did not. You would need to prove that you did not and this would be difficult, at the moment it is only your word against their system which has logged you using roaming service.

Your options are to try and settle the matter amicably out of court and accept a part refund or a full refund, or even no refund, or to go to court where the judge will have the final say over what should happen and who is right and who is wrong.

Hope this clarifies. I am sorry but I can only advise you honestly based on my understanding of the law. I cannot give you false hope or advice.