75100385

Brief history. Agreed verbally and loosely via email to

Brief history. Agreed verbally and loosely via email to do freelance job on x dates for next 4 months. Agreed at first to be paid within 7 days. I have been paid for past 8 jobs within 10 days of each invoice. Now about to start a contract for same firm for one of their clients. Now been informed that I will be paid about 30 days from invoice. Stated I did not agree to that. They are saying I agreed verbally to these conditions in front of the two company directors. No written contract is in place and i have not signed anything.

I said I would not start this new contract due to changing terms and they sent email back saying I would have to as I agreed verbally. If i refused they would sue me for loss of earnings from this client if they were to lose them through me leaving.

What are the chances of the court backing them?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

How much are we talking here? Does the email mention anything about payment terms please?

Customer: 50 days work at 130 per day pay for me. I am not sure what they are being paid off their client. Nothing discussed in email about pay
Alex Watts :

Was anything discussed about notice or whether or not you could end the contract?

Customer: Nothing at all.
Alex Watts :

OK - then they can't sue you for breach of contract.

Alex Watts :

You could end and give no notice, there is no contract to say that you have to give notice.

Alex Watts :

So this sounds like hot air to me.

Alex Watts :

Unless notice was given then they can not sue you.

Alex Watts :

Customer: What happens if they say it was discussed and it is my word against theirs
Alex Watts :

If they try and you sue, if they bring the claim they have to prove it.

Customer: So you think they would not have a case based on info given
Alex Watts :

That's right/.

Alex Watts :

Nothing in writing

Alex Watts :

Customer: No thank you. You have been more than helpful.