Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I ordered a pair of sunglasses through a website. I have recently

I ordered a pair of sunglasses through a website. I have recently found out that they went into receivership at the beginning of February and I only ordered the sunglasses last week. I have repeatedly tried to contact them about a refund but have hear nothing back. Where do I go from here?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

How did you pay for the glasses? With a debt or credit card?

How much did they cost?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,

I paid with my Credit Card and they cost me about €220.

Louise

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Are you based in England or the UK?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am based in Ireland but the company is based in Newcastle.

Louise

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Which bank is your credit card with?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm with Bank of Ireland.

Louise

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Normally under English (uk) Law if you have paid for something by credit card and you do not receive the item then you are entitled to a refund under S.75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 from the credit card company as long as the purchase is over £100.

I am not sure Irish banks offer the same protection but to the extent that they offer products in the UK they are by law required to do so.

If the company in England has gone bust then you will have to contact the Official Receiver https://www.gov.uk/contact-official-receiver‎ - and register yourself as a creditor of the company. If the company then has any assets they will distribute them and you might get your money back. I am afraid that now the company is insolvent you wont be able to get your money back through the courts.

I would therefore recommend that you firstly contact your credit card company and check to see if they will guarantee the transaction.

AJ