13262538

I have a property that I bought with a partner in 2005. We

I have a property that I bought with a partner in 2005. We split up in 2010 and had to decide how to split the property up as I did not want to sell it. We came to a mutually acceptable agreement and I payed him the share of what we have decided on. When I wanted to change the deed and the mortgage I was told by the bank to keep it the same as I would not get a mortgage again as I am self employed. We then decided that we should draw up a contract that explains that even though his name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed and mortgage he has been bought out of the property. We are still very good friends, but I am worried about what may happen in the future. What should I do?
Did you actually draw up such a contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have not drawn up the contract yet.

The document that you need is a Declaration of Trust stating that whilst the property is held in joint names it is held for your benefit alone and you alone are responsible for the mortgage.
It should also make provision for a long stop date for your ex's release from the mortgage as otherwise he will not be able to obtain a further mortgage
This can then be Registered at the Land Registry
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I do a Declaration of trust, or where can I have this done? Any suggestions? Will this stand up in court if he sometime in the future wants to dispute this?

Johann