Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

i am a tenant about to complete my dirst year of tenancy with

Customer Question

i am a tenant about to complete my dirst year of tenancy with this particular landlord. he has said i must sign for another year, without being allowed to hand in my tenancy at any point within this next year. is he within his legal rights to stipulate this, or am i legally free to give a month's notice during the second, or any subsequent years?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

I am afraid this is normal. A landlord will often require a minimum contractual commitment so you cannot leave them on short notice.

What is often done to resolve this is to include a 6month break clause. This means that you are entitled to give notice after 6 months as a compromise. This means the landlord has the certainty that you won't leave on short notice and you have the comfort that you can leave before the year term is up.

Can I assist any further?

AJ