UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have found out today that I have been having a £10 monthly

I have found out today that I have been having a £10 monthly payment taken from one of my credit card accounts by the Shoppers Discount company . My only recollection of ever dealing with this organisation was to order a discounted Coach Travel ticket to visit my son in England some years ago.
Do I have any rights to reclaiming all or any of these payments since I have not conducted any business with them since that one off transaction?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You should stop the credit card mandate immediately or cancel your card so that the unauthorised payments are stopped immediately.

If you did not agree to making the payments, you should ask the company to refund you in full all the money they have taken from you without your consent, if they refuse to do so, you may claim the money plus interest at court rates in court at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can contact the company direct by phone to cancel as I understand, but I am concerned before doing so that there may have been a clause, offer or some other marketing promotion wrapped around that original transaction in buying a coach ticket that I effectively became 'a member' and this gave them authorisation/permission to to take this payment and enabled me to conduct further business with them should I have wanted to but I have never done.

You should contact your bank to stop the credit card mandate or cancel your card.

You may argue that you were unaware that you were opted into or had agreed to any such monthly membership. You may also argue that it is an unfair contract term and that it was not drawn to your attention.

All the best