Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have been with my fiance for almost 7 years and he is about

I have been with my fiance for almost 7 years and he is about to leave me. He owes me a lot of money due to his gambling. What are my rights for getting my money?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Do you have any proof that you gave him this money? I.e bank statements etc?

Was it always a loan?

How much does he owe you?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Other than my word no real proof. Although I am currently paying off a £10k loan in mine & his name and 2 credit card debts of his amounting to around £5k.

These are to cover some of his gambling debts. But I've also previously paid around £25k+ to cover these.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Firstly I am afraid it is unlikely that you will be able to recover any debts that are older than 6 years. So it will only be those sums paid or demanded in the last 6 years.

Secondly in relation to the joint loans you are entitled to recover his share of the loans from him under Civil Liability (Contribution) Act 1978. You would have to do this through a money claim (See below).

Thirdly credit cards solely in his name that you have not guaranteed you can stop paying as they are his responsibility.

Finally any cash you have paid out to him, you will have to sue him for if he wont voluntarily repay. You can start a money claim here www.mcol.gov.uk

The only problem is if he has got no money then you may just be wasting time and money doing this, if he can pay any Judgment you may be better waiting until he has a job and can actual repay something before pursuing him. If he goes bankrupt you will have next to no chance of recovering the money from him.

As a starting point you should write a letter to him and make a formal demand that he repays you what you are owed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ