29905560

if i was acked for gross misconduct could they take my pension

Customer Question

if i was acked for gross misconduct could they take my pension away from me its non contributory

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

It is highly unlikely that your pension would be affected in the circumstances. You still need to check the terms of the policy but such clauses are rather rare. This is really an investment where you have paid money, sometimes together with the employer, but your future eligibility for past payments is not affected. The only time there may be a risk to it id if you have been guilty of fraud or gross negligence and the employer may try to recover their losses from the pension, but I presume there is no issue of that being the case here.

JACUSTOMER-c9pbt4rz- :

no but my pension is non contributory

JACUSTOMER-c9pbt4rz- :

does that matter

JACUSTOMER-c9pbt4rz- :

iam rather desperate to know this

Ben Jones :

Generally no, but as mentioned it depends specifically on the policy terms, for example some professions, like the police, you may lose your pension if sacked for gross misconduct but that is purely based on the terms of the schemes they are on, so until you check your own scheme's terms, you would not know what rules you are subject to

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Hello, please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thank you