Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

What can I do x wife signed for a letter which was sent for

Customer Question

What can I do x wife signed for a letter which was sent for me to attend a meeting at work I do not live with my wife anymore I was off sick at the time but she did not pass this letter on to my new address failure to do this I have been sacked what can I do no fault of mine I updated my new address to my employers when we separated but they sent it out to my x wife's address what can I do
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi when did this take place? Were you sacked without having the chance to explain the position?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

14 Feb yes I was went into work after being off sick for a month on the 24 feb to be told I was dismissed no letter to say why or no meeting with them or from them

Ok Thanks. you should appeal against dismissal and if they refuse to allow the appeal claim for unfair dismissal if you have been employed long enough. Have you been there for 2 years.

I see you have a union who ought to help you appeal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been with the company 5 yrs can't seem to get in touch with my union rep being trying all the week I'm at my wits end what can I do otherwise can't afford to be out of work not my fault

Thanks well you must have a right of appeal under the company's disciplinary policy but even if there is not they ought to listen to an appeal so I would write setting out the reasons why you did not attend the meeting and saying that you wish to appeal against the decision.

If they refuse then you can bring a claim at an employment tribunal.