How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a mobile account that became overdue last year and is

Resolved Question:

I have a mobile account that became overdue last year and is now heavily impacting my credit score. I am concerned that this will prevent me from obtaining a mortgage on reasonable terms. The circumstances leading to the account becoming overdue were by chance and I was not aware of the issue for around 6 months. I feel this incident is going to unfairly impact me. I have written to the mobile company to explain the circumstances leading to the overdue account and the burden this now causes me, and to request they alter my credit record. They are difficult to contact and appear to be ignoring my request. Do I have any avenues to rectify my credit score? A copy of my email (sent 8/2/14) to the mobile company is below:

Dear Sir/Madam,

T-Mobile number: 07931 361302

I took out a 24 month contract with a new phone in late 2011. I ended up having no use for the phone and did not ever use it. However, I understood that I had signed a 24 month contract with T-Mobile and so continued to make the monthly payments by direct debit. In early 2012 I moved address but did not think of the need to contact T-Mobile (as I was not using the service and was continuing to make payments). In early 2013 I made a change to the bank account I use with Barclays. At this point the direct debit stopped going through but I had not expected this to happen. The £15 monthly payment was minor enough that I didn't notice that it had stopped going through on statements. The account then went into default and was subsequently transferred to a debt collection agency - who would not have had my valid address or mobile number. I was unaware of any issue until later in 2013 when I checked my credit report and saw the default. I then contacted T-Mobile immediately, who referred me to the debt collection agency. I paid the debt collection agency in full immediately. The account is now settled and this is now reflected on my credit report. Unfortunately the record of late payments is still proving very detrimental to my credit score, and is now preventing me from obtaining a mortgage.

As you can see I have made every effort to do the right thing by T-Mobile by paying on time for a 24 month contract (despite having never used the service!). I ask that you would please correct my account records which are unfairly showing I am a bad payer and is affecting my credit score. Alternative to this could you please remove the record with the credit agency, or at the very least provide an explanatory note to them. It was an honest and minor oversight and was for such a small amount but it is having an huge impact on my life.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is the information on your credit file accurate though?

Customer: Yes
Alex Watts :

All you can do then sadly is file a notice of correction.

Alex Watts :

If it is accurate you can ask the Credit Reference Agency to add 200 words to your credit file explaining why it is the situation happened.

Alex Watts :

You can not get it removed unless the mobile company agree

Alex Watts :

You accept that this is accurate so you can not challenge it in Court.

Alex Watts :

Therefore the only option you have left is a notice of correction which lenders will see when they search your file.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :

However if it is just a missed payment as long as you have maintained 12 months without missing anything, lenders do not normally care.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions