UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a ccj that has been applied to me by a nationwide company

I have a ccj that has been applied to me by a nationwide company who issued a response at Christmas and I acknowledged it but to their solicitor instead of the claims department Which the court then sent a to pay forthwith judgement for a large sum . My insurance have found a loop hole and will not back me , the judgement is for a subcontract job I done in 2009 and I have had no chance to look at any damage that is being claimed an nor have I had any evidence of this alleged claim to back up this claim . Where do I stand and how do I get my say , I don't understand how someone can demand money with out going down the route of normal practice i.e. getting the person who carried out the works to re attend if a problem arose .
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You may apply to set aside the CCJ on the ground that you were not notified of any problem with your work and did not know that there was a claim being made against you e.g. If you did not receive the claim paperwork etc.

The court may set it aside and ask you and the claimant to mediate or try and settle the issue out of court.

See here for information on setting aside the CCJ and what form you should send to apply to set it aside., the fee is £80:

http://www.bdl.org.uk/images/12_EW_NDL_Setting%20aside%20a%20judgment%20in%20the%20county%20court.pdf

Hope this helps