UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, My partners mother is sending letters to my mother

My partners mother is sending letters to my mother which include statements which are completely untrue. we are living apart at the moment with him at his mothers and me at our joint tennented flat. We have spoken about reconciliation but due to his mothers untruths about me this is proving very difficult and I am considering suing her for deformation of character and slander, how does this work?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Although there is no fixed definition, defamation may occur if statements lower your reputation, or expose you to hatred or ridicule or cause you to be ignored etc. slander is spoken words whilst libel is written words.

Such claims are very costly and time consuming and you do not get legal aid, so you may consider getting a solicitor to write her a letter asking her to stop her alleged defamation. This may work instead of court action.

Hope this helps