75100385

I sold my riffle and night scope together privately. The scope

I sold my riffle and night scope together privately. The scope was powered up and showed as working to the buyer on the day of sale. The person who bought it sold the scope on ebay and it was returned to him by the buyers saying it was not working. Three weeks after he bought it off me he brought it back wanting his money back saying that it was not working. Am I liable to give him his money back after he has sold it on to a third party.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Did the buyer have an opportunity to examine it please?

Customer:

Yes he saw it powered up and looked through the scope before paying.

Alex Watts :

Ok - how much was paid please?

Customer:

£1,500 for the riffle and the scope

Alex Watts :

OK - the motto when buying second hand is buyer beware. There are little if no rights when making a purchase.

Alex Watts :

If the item was described accurate and they had a chance to examine and test the item and it later turns out to be faulty there is nothing they can do.

Alex Watts :

They should have purchased it new.

Alex Watts :

But as they are buying second hand and tested it - you are not responsible for any faults.

Alex Watts :

Therefore you have nothing to be concerned about and should not worry

Alex Watts :

So no - you are not liable to give the buyer any money back

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thank you that is all I needed to know just in case he comes back

Alex Watts :

Great, if I can help further let me know

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/