75100385

is a water meter reading from a water meter that is tested

is a water meter reading from a water meter that is tested and shown to be performing correctly always conclusive proof of a water bills accuracy even where there is contrary evidence eg nochange of use , no repairs, static or falling turnover in a business ?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I do not quite understand - are you saying the meter is faulty?

Customer:

I am alleging that the readings were anomalous.The meter was changed and my bills rocketed despite there being no change in use of the premises, no increase in turnover, and no leakages. The offending meter was removed and my readings fell. The meter that i alleged was faulty was tested and found to be giving correct readings. Something strange happened. Is the test reading in itself conclusive proof in the face of cotrary data eg turnover and eyewitness reports as to the meters behaviour

Alex Watts :

Did you take meter reading before it was changed?

Customer:

No, i was out of the country on holiday when the meter was changed.

Alex Watts : But the unit has been tested? Have you had a second opinion?
Customer:

No, i was unaware that i could get a second opinion

Alex Watts : Is it mechanical or digital please?
Customer:

I am not a meter technician so to avoid misleading you i will describe how it worked. A pointer at the top moves in a clockwise direction. Once there has been a full circuit it clicks 1 digit etc. I HAVE EYEWITNESSES WHO DESCRIBE ITS WORKINGS AS FOLLOWS. I nstead of the numbers, except the one at the end being static they were WHIZZING AROUND. There was also a rattling sound coming from the meter.

Alex Watts : Ok. What you need to do is this. Switch of everything that uses water.
Alex Watts : Take a container that has a measurement scale on or one that you know how much water it holds,Fill it with water from the tap or shower,
Alex Watts : Check the meter has only moved the same amount of decimal places as liters you have taken from the tap or shower.
Alex Watts : If it is has moved this amount then it is working.
Alex Watts : if it is recording more usage then you know you have a fault.
Alex Watts : But try this before you do anything else as you will know from this.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts : Of course it may be that in fact your old meter was faulty.
Customer:

Thank you , but the problem is that the meter is no longer on my premises. It was removed and replaced by another meter and my bills have returned to normal. The dispute is over bills for the period December 2010 to November 2012.

Alex Watts : i see. In that case you need to write and make a formal complaint
Alex Watts : If that does not work you can then complain to the regulator OFWAT
Alex Watts : They are external, independent and can resolve any complaint water related for you.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Customer:

Thank you but i have complained to Northumbrian Water and went through their review/appeals procedure.I got nowhere so i complained to the Consumer Council For WATER listing 6 grounds for complaint. They found in my favour on 4 grounds but sadly not on the bills. The ConsumerCouncil qouted Regulation 8 of the WATER(METERS) REGULATIONS 1988,

Alex Watts : Yes. The only step is therefore the regulator, OFWAT
Customer:

Thank you i will take your advice

Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience