13262538

I have been living with my partner for 3 and a half years and

Customer Question

I have been living with my partner for 3 and a half years and have been engaged to her for 2 years. I am not on the mortgage but I have been paying half towards the mortgage and the house hold bill for the past 3 and a half years. I have also payed around 8 to 10 thousand pounds in house improvements and probably brought new furniture and electrical goods throughout the whole house. she has asked me to leave and move out straight the way. do I have to move out? what rights do I have?
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How much did the improvements increase the value of the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the property is worth around £110,000. there is £55,000 left on the mortgage. I spent £4,000 on installing central heating. I had all the interior walls re-plastered and redecorated throughout. It has probably increased the value of the house by £15,000.

Then you have a potential interest in the property on the basis of there being a Resulting Trust - that you invested the money on the basis that you would have a financial interest in the property
You can read more here
http://www.crippslink.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=718:cohabitation-a-review-of-the-trusts-of-land-and-appointment-of-trustees-act-1997&catid=32:property-disputes&Itemid=537
This does not give you the right to remain in the property - although you are still entitled to "reasonable written notice" to leave - at least 28 days would be seen as reasonable
You need to try and negotiate with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co,uk) to agree a settlement
Please ask if you need further details