How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi I am Portuguese, 53 years old. Im in England with my family

Customer Question

I am Portuguese, 53 years old. I'm in England with my family since February 2008.

I was a Company Director in a small Company with four partners (me, my wife and another couple).
There was no viability to keep going and we stop running the business on 2006.
I tried during 2 years to do my best to solve lots of issues. Some of them in our favor others against.
I've lost the opportunity to recover some money and dignity and worse then that I left to much issues against me and the Company (all of them about money/payments) but I had no choice to protect my family.
At this point I am sure that I am in contumacy situation because of not been in court (I am sure that I've been notified me to be in court)

1 - Can I ask for a Passport at the Portuguese Embassy in London?
2 - Can I ask for a Passport for my 11 years old son?
3 - Do I take any risk to go to Portuguese Embassy?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The issues you have had with your business have nothing to do with the fact that you are a Portuguese national and as such:

1) yes, you are entitled to contact the Embassy about a passport;
2) yes;
3) there should be nothing for you to worry about, yes, you should go to the Embassy.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to ask again but are you absolutely sure because in Portugal if we fail to go to the court we are not aloud to take any documents and if we try to do so the police will keep us to go to the court.
Many thanks
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
This is the UK and not Portugal and the laws here are different.

Failure to pay debts are civil matters in the UK and the police do not get involved

If you wish to, you may contact the Portuguese Embassy in advance and seek further advice from them re: passport renewals.

Hope this clarifies.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions