13262538

Hi its a long story but here goes. I have recently split up

Customer Question

Hi its a long story but here goes. I have recently split up with my gf whom is carrying our child. She walked out without a word because I came home drunk one weekend and we argued. She placed herself into a women's refuge centre as I am the Tennant on our flat. This was 3 weeks ago now and ive been trying to get hold of her for info on the baby but have heard nothing and i don't know what to do. I fear she is making me out to be a monster as I heard through friends she wants me to have nothing to do with the baby. She has changed all scan dates our 20 week scan was suposed to be on the friday just gone which is really hurtfull as this is my first child and I wanted to experience everything. I cannot bear the silence anymore. I want to be involved in my babies life but she will not be civil about this. Is there anything I can do. Thank you
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
I have bad news I am afraid
You have no rights at all until the baby is born
At that point it is the right of the child to have regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
At the start contact should be short but often and build up from there - at a pace suited to the baby
You will need to try and discuss this with your ex using Family Mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) a little closer to the due date
You can read more here
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I get the ball rolling now or soon because when baby is born I would like contact immediately. Also same situation regurding birth certificate

You cannot insist on Registering the birth with her - and I am afraid it is her decision as to the name.
However you can explain that if you are not on the Birth Certificate that you will apply for a Declaration of parentage so that your name can be added later - which may make her decide to agree to your presence.
If she does not then you will also have to apply for Parental Responsibility for the child and the right to be consulted on all major issues in his or her life.
It is probably still a little early to start the process - a further few weeks wait would probably be better