13262538

Is it common practice for you to billed for solicitors services

Is it common practice for you to billed for solicitors services after a case has been settled if there has been no arrangement for being 'on retainer'?

Acting as a litigant in person I owe the Defendant's solicitor fees for his time due to an error on my part and have been billed to pay in 14 days, but the case is still awaiting a trial date...?

- Thanks
Sorry - do you mean that a costs award was made against you at an earlier hearing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried to submit an amended particulars and was invited to meet with the judge and the Defendant's solicitors, but I decided not to pursue this upon receiving information from the judge that day. I am being billed for the Defendant's solicitors time that day.

We are still awaiting our new trial date however, and I thought we were on an unspoken agreement that he would not bill me I til the trial was over.
Did the Judge make a costs order on that day?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but I don't think I had a copy of anything written down... He also didn't set a time scale to the best of my memory (although I might be wrong) but told us to "settle the matter between yourselves as you both see fit"
I am afraid that if the Costs Order was made then the solicitor is entitled to send the Bill - but you are entitled to ask for it to be assessed at the next hearing rather than simply accepting the sum requested.
I am sorry to have to give you disappointing news - please ask if you need further details