How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good Evening, This question is related to Divorce/pensions.

Customer Question

Good Evening,
This question is related to Divorce/pensions. I had a court order draw up in 2007 where I settled for 50% of my gratuity, plus all my savings accumulated in 2007, luckily my monthly pension isn't going to be touched.
My Ex-Spouse has remarried since and is claiming every benefit possible, some im sure she isn't entitled to but I have no direct proof.
Is there a way of challenging this order? Reason: she is an idle woman who hasn't worked but relies on hand-outs etc etc I have worked for nearly 24 years in the Military and will loose up to 20k to her, I feel cheated and frustrated as her current husband earns roughly the same as me?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - there was a Final Financial Order made by Consent within the Divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

I do apologise for my late reply, I had a problem getting into my account.


Yes, there was a financial order made at Salisbury law court Dated 7th Sept 2007. I will type out the wording.


'The respondent shall pay or cause to be paid to the applicant a deferred lump sum equal to 50% (Fifty percent) of the value of his maximum Terminal Grant to which he may be entitled to receive from the Armed Forces Pension Scheme upon his retirement from service with the Armed Forces'


I would like to make it known that on the day of the proceeding I had no legal representation to seek advice from. The Judge had ordered that the case had to be finalised on this day, as my ex-spouse had dragged it along as long as she could (she was on legal aid) the case was costing me a fortune in solicitors bills.

The reason I had no solicitor on this day was because I had 'sacked' him from my case because he only ever talked about what I could pay and not about the case.

I was under a bit of pressure as I was cornered in a room with her solicitor during a recess in which this option was offered, the only positive is she doesn't touch my monthly pension payment.

I have heard that it should be 50% of the Time I was married to her (12year marriage) not 50% of my grant according to colleagues ? again im not 100% as its all very vague.

just a quick point - I have been told I could for go my lump sum and have a bigger monthly pension instead, how would this affect the court order or would it be breaking it?

I'm just asking if the order can be challenged.

Kind Regards




Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
So for clarity - you consented to this order - I accept that you were pressured - but you actually consented
to it?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions