Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

We bought a lease of a restaurant for 90000. payable in three

Customer Question

We bought a lease of a restaurant for 90000. payable in three years. and a rent 33000 a year. We give the landlord 22000. but there is no receipt. For this money he gave us the keys and we are inside the restaurant from 10 august. As the place was dirty and old we invest in renovate this place other much money, and we started the new business with a company of two partners and a part time employee. During this time we knew that the old restaurant was almost broke and the landlord never show any document or his books. Now the landlord make another purpose to sign a 75000 as lease in already 3 years and the same rent. he send us this purpose on 14 February . I talked with him meanwhile and he does not decrease any price. and now want we give him the keys. I want to ask him to recognize the money we give as for rent 8 months with receipt and re agree about 50000 for the lease in five years beginning from september. We want to know if we have to answer the purpose sended the 14 february and our legal situation in this case.
Best regards Nicolas
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Can you kindly confirm if you actually signed a lease originally with the landlord please or was nothing actually signed or agreed?

Joshua :

How did you pay the landlord - cash or bank transfer for example?

JACUSTOMER-vj0vtmac- :

no nothing was signed and we paid cash

Joshua :

Thanks. Does the landlord admit receipt of the cash? If not do you have a bank record showing the cash withdrawal?

JACUSTOMER-vj0vtmac- :

No he doesn't, I have withdrawals with no reason on my personal account

JACUSTOMER-vj0vtmac- :

there will be a new answer?

Joshua :

Sorry for the delay in reverting to you. Thank you. Are there any emails between you negotiating terms or was everything conducted verbally? Was the £22K for rent or for the £90K premium you mention? Has any rent actually been paid?