Hi - I asked before but wasnt completely clear on the answer.

Customer Question

Hi - I asked before but wasn't completely clear on the answer. A borough is asking for payment for a few tickets issued in 2012. Are these still valid?

Jo C. : Hi
Jo C. : Which tickets do you mean?
Jo C. : Sorry for the delay
JACUSTOMER-dtkm33e7- :

Hi Jo

JACUSTOMER-dtkm33e7- :

Yes sorry - they are penalty charge notices. The contravention dates are in 2012 - they are a few we contested - but now have been sent the order for recovery in 2014.

JACUSTOMER-dtkm33e7- :

JACUSTOMER-dtkm33e7- :

Jo C. : Did you appeal those?
JACUSTOMER-dtkm33e7- :

Yes we did

Jo C. : And what happened?
Jo C. : I'm just going to convert this to Q and A as I'm on the IPAD and can't see your responses.

Can you respond now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To be honest I am not sure. We are a removal company and the lady who contested the tickets is not contactable anymore. We assumed they had been dealt with. So we are surprised that we received something about 2012 tickets.

Thats bad news.

Can you call the councils and ask them?

Or the traffic appeals service?

If you have the PCNs numbers then they can do that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am really after legal advice - as to whether the tickets would have expired - I am not sure the councils or traffic appeals service would give me that advice?

It depends what happened to them.

PCNs are summary only matters so they have six months to get them before a Court or Adjudicator. Obviously if they have done nothing here then they have expired but that won't be what has happened.

What they will have done is taken this to the Adjudicator and got an order against the registered keeper. If that has happened then these have not expired. They are like court orders and do not date although its fair to say that they probably wouldn't enforce something that is 20 years old for instance. 2 years old will cause them no difficulty.

Its still worth checking the position here though. They have been known to try to enforce parking fines that were won by the motorist upon appeal.

If the issue has been ignored though and it has gone to the Adjudicator then I'm afraid you are liable.

I'm very sorry as I know thats bad news.

If you want to make some calls and come back to me then I might be able to offer more.

Please let me know if you need more information.

If this answers your question then please remember to leave feedback.