Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have just paid £3000 for private detox and had 1 visit from

I have just paid £3000 for private detox and had 1 visit from a doctor. I had to pay for 1 weeks medication and had 1 phone call as a follow up. I have asked what is the next step but told this is it unless I pay more for councelling. This cannot be right £3000 for 1 visit. Can you please advise.

Jackie
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if the service was explained to you in writing or verbally before you agreed to the same please?

Customer:

I received an e-mail as I requested at home rehad.

Joshua :

Thanks. What was described to you as the service you would be entitled to expect for the fee paid please?

Customer:

Dear XXXXXe,

Following on from our earlier chat, please find attached the details of the treatment centres that I feel would be best for your situation, as well as some supporting literature that I hope will help. When considering treatment, it is vital to choose a programme that offers the greatest opportunities for long-term recovery, as addiction is an illness where relapse would always be a very real risk.

We ensure on-going support and advice through the decision-making process and have a number of services available that offer what we feel are the correct treatment plans, thus supporting long term recovery expectations. An effective treatment plan will need to include preparation for treatment, a minimum 28-day period of residential care, and a minimum period of 10 weeks of aftercare, typically in the form of one to one counselling.

We have experienced and dedicated staff who will be involved in all aspects of the treatment plan and can guide, encourage and support every step of the way. The core of the treatment plan is a supervised detox followed by a psychologically based therapeutic programme, making engagement and commitment to recovery vital.

When more support is required in the decision making process, we are able to offer a Home Assessment with one of our specialist Addiction Counsellors. If for any reason an inpatient period of treatment is not possible then we are also able to offer a number of outpatient services, although we consider this only after it has been ascertained that inpatient care is indeed impossible under current circumstances.

As is (and always should be) expected, the treatment centres that we work with are all registered with the Care Quality Commission, a governing body that regulates care providers. We have established excellent relationships with them in order to offer a plan of care that we believe maximises recovery opportunity.

Our centres are located across the UK and overseas and are only offered following an assessment of needs.

After initial consultation, we request that the centre staff call and speak with you directly but I will also keep in touch.

Below are the Rehab Centre Details

INTENSIVE ADDICTION COUNSELLING

Intensive Addiction Counselling (IAC) is an alternative to attending a residential treatment centre, thus allowing the client to continue with any commitments or responsibilities he/she may have and avoiding any disruption to their normal daily routine. It also means that there is not the challenge of readjustment to day to day life when a period of residential treatment has been completed. It is recognised that in some situations, re-emergence of familiar associations and triggers from the clients addicted existence can become overwhelming and seriously threaten recovery. Fortunately, many clients living with substance dependency can now avoid the constraints and associated costs of in-patient residential treatment. Addiction Helper has developed IAC alongside some of the most experienced addiction counsellors in the country. These Counsellors have had many years of experience treating clients suffering from substance dependency. This experience has enabled Addiction Helper to develop an informed understanding of the essential elements that can lead to successful and long-term recovery. The aim of the IAC is to avoid the need for residential treatment whilst still achieving recovery results. IAC treats the clients substance dependency alongside everyday life, allowing the client to learn how to manage their feelings in “real life”. It is about changing mind-sets, developing awareness and an understanding of addiction as an illness and creating skills, tools and techniques to enable the client to respond differently to the challenges their new life presents. IAC teaches the client to be in charge of their feelings, thoughts and self rather than being controlled and dictated to by their addiction. The programme is especially suited to individuals who have managed to get some degree of abstinence from their addiction. The principal benefit of IAC is that it allows the client to maintain their commitment to their family, friends, and work responsibilities for a large part of their week. All the client will need to commit to is: Phase One: Weeks One to Four: Intensive Phase: • Two 50 minute face to face Counselling sessions each week • Twice daily, 20 minute telephone sessions on at least 5 days of each week • A minimum of one written work assignment each week • Attendance at 12 step fellowship meetings Phase Two: Weeks Four to Eight and Eight to Twelve: Maintenance Phase: • One 50 minute face to face Counselling session per week • Twice weekly, 15 minute telephone sessions • A minimum of one written work assignment each week • Attendance at 12 step fellowship meetings Phase Three: Weeks 8-12-16 and on-going: Monitoring Phase: • One 30 minute telephone call once a week for as long as it is agreed is appropriate between the client and the counsellor. • One 50 minute face to face Counselling session per week (optional) • Continued attendance at 12 step fellowship meetings. The IAC programme is designed to match the natural progress of recovery. Normally in the first 4-6 weeks the client will engage in the intensive phase of the course and then progress forward to the maintenance phase. This carries them through the critical period when risk of relapse is high. They will then move on to the monitoring phase that can continue until the client feels confident to move forward independently. Written work assignments will be based on the 12 step model of care. The aim of the programme is to get to the point where the client feels he/she is able to continue with their recovery without the support of their counsellor. At this time continued attendance at 12 step fellowship meeting will be advised as well as continued abstinence from any addictive substance.

Tel :

Why Counselling

WHY COUNSELLING? At Addiction Helper we arrange a number of in-patient and outpatient treatment services one of which is Counselling. If you choose to engage with this service we aim to provide a registered Addiction/Alcohol Counsellor within a 20-mile radius to your home. Counselling will be offered for a minimum of either 10 or 20 sessions according to an assessment of your needs. 10 sessions is at a cost of £1000 and 20 sessions is £1800. Your Counselling sessions will be individual to you with the main objectives being agreed with your Counsellor during your first session. All sessions are structured and tailored to meet your individual treatment needs. Counselling is particularly useful for those who may find it difficult to express how they are feeling or who have not dealt with emotional events from the past. Your counsellor will work with you to help identify and deal with the triggers and issues that are underpinning your addiction and associated behaviours. All of our Counsellors are fully qualified and are registered with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or with similar regulatory bodies. They will primarily use a combination of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Twelve Step Therapy to help you challenge and understand your addiction and achieve and sustain your recovery. How you structure your sessions will be arranged between yourself and your Counsellor, but usually we recommend one face to face meeting a week. If you are travelling, or for some reason cannot make a face-to-face meeting with your Counsellor, in some instances we can arrange Skype or Telephone Counselling. Counselling can be offered for all chemical addictions and also for process addictions such as Gambling, Sex and Love Addiction, Shopping

Tel :

Disclaimer

This email is intended solely for the addressee(s) named above and the contents should not be disclosed to any other person or copies taken. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent the board unless specifically stated. As internet connections are not always secure we cannot and do not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message after it was sent by the original sender. We advise you to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment as we cannot and do not accept responsibility / liability for any damage sustained as a result of any software viruses.

Customer:

Not sure if you got all of this. How can I forward this to you?

Joshua :

Thanks. I have received the above email. Thank you. There is no mention of prices for any service in the above. When was price discussed?

Joshua :

There is reference to £1000 and £1800 for 1 or 20 sessions. Nothing about £3000 you paid?

Customer:

Good evening Jackie

Please find attached the consent form for your GP.

I also need to speak to you as I have been informed Anthony is away until the 7th March so would be able to commence home detox on 8th March. However if you do not wish to wait (which I completely understand) we do have another home detox nurse available.

The total cost will be £3000 for the home detox. We have received £1000 so the balance is £2000.

Please call me to discuss.

Disclaimer

Joshua :

Thanks. Having read the above there is no evidence of how they calculated a figure of £3000. There is reference to £1000 for 10 sessions or £1800 20 sessions in the initial email. Nothing about £3000 you paid? How was this arrived at?

Customer:

This was just agree over e-mail as £1000 deposit and th rest was £2000

Joshua :

Thanks so there was not discussion about what would be provided for this fee?

Customer:

no, but reading the e-mail about the IAC part this read more than just 1 week detox

Joshua :

My sincere apologies for the delay in reverting to you.

Customer:

ok

Joshua :

Based on the content of the emails exchanged £1800 would be sufficient to cover 20 counseling sessions. It is not at all clear what £3000 would cover but based on the lower priced bands it would not be unreasonable to conclude that the cost would include 35 or even 40 counseling sessions.

Customer:

ok, but they are saying the £3000 was just for the detox and they will not supply councelling in this cost. This was just for the 1 detox session and cuncellig would be exra apart from from the 5 "free" sessions.

Joshua :

Accordingly how you choose to proceed depends on the outcome you wish to achieve. If you wish to obtain more counseling sessions, you may consider reverting to the provider advising that you had understood that £3000 would buy you 40 counseling sessions or whatever you understood based on their price structure. The email from the provider clearly details £1800 for 20 counseling sessions. Nowhere in the emails you have kindly provided above is there any information that provides what the £3000 was for and therefore unless they can produce evidence as to what this fee was for and that it was agreed by you then it is reasonable to conclude that this is what you were paying for.

Joshua :

It is for them to justify any charges they have levied upon you not for you to do so. If your contention is that you have paid for 40 counseling sessions or thereabouts for £3000 based on the above email from them then unless they can show that something else was clearly agreed between you in correspondence as they now claim then they must supply the service contracted. If they do not then you have a claim against them for the balance of service that they have not yet provided to you.

Joshua :

If you are unable to reach agreement then you may consider a claim for the money you have paid less the value for such service as you have received from the to date in the County Court for breach of contract under the Suppply of Goods and Services Act which requires them to supply the service agreed for a price which is agreed or failing which for a reasonable cost.

Joshua :

If you are forced to do this the simplest way to issue proceedings is by using the courts online issueing service www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I will contact them. Can I contact you again if need be.

Joshua :

Yes of course. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.

Joshua :

Basically it seems to me you need to decide what you understood you were paying for - e.g. a certain number of counselling sessions and so on - and make it clear to them that this is the basis you paid the money to them. It is then for them to show that you agreed otherwise by reference to some other correspondence between you

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.

Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice