75100385

How can I get my neighbour to pay for his electric as when

How can I get my neighbour to pay for his electric as when we bought our house off him he forgot to mention that there were three meters in his building we changed the account into our name and for the last eight years we have had to pay his electric charges . In eight years he has only paid £400.00 towards the charges,and his last bill was over £1000 we have sent him a copy of the itemised bills with his reading but to no avail.What can we do to get him to pay his way?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Can an electrician confirm that this is his supply please?
Customer: The supply of electricity is in our name but the meters are actually located in his property !
Alex Watts : Ok. You need to get al electrician to prepare a report and confirm this is the case as this can be used in court.
Alex Watts : Then you need to total how much you have paid for this meter.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
Customer: But he won't let an electrician into his property to check meters!
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : i see, in that case skip the first step and just sue for the payments made.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts : But if it is his debt you are paying for his electricity then you can sue for the money back.
Customer: thank you will try that ,many thanks