29905560

MY DAUGHTER IS THE VICTIM OF HARRASSMENT-MALICIOUS UNTRUE LETTERS

Customer Question

MY DAUGHTER IS THE VICTIM OF HARRASSMENT-MALICIOUS UNTRUE LETTERS BEING SENT TO HER EMPLOYER-I NEED TO STOP THIS -PLEASE ADVISE

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who is sending these letters?

JACUSTOMER-6u0ny1kl- :

Lodger who resides at her ex-boyfriends parents house where my daughter and her boyfriend also lived-daughter and now ex -boyfriend split up over her plans to go for a job interview to work on a cruise boat for nine months

JACUSTOMER-6u0ny1kl- :

please e-mail me or phone me XXXXXXXXXXX when I can continue communicationwith you

Ben Jones :

We can only communicate in this chat I'm afraid so we will continue here. Briefly, what do the letters say?

JACUSTOMER-6u0ny1kl- :

They tell her employer that professionally her ability as a beauty therapist is abysmal-and that on a personal level she is a thief-a liar- not to be trusted who will do anything to get her own way

Ben Jones :

How many times have they sent letters?

JACUSTOMER-6u0ny1kl- :

Have you got my reply to your question -what do the letters say ?

JACUSTOMER-6u0ny1kl- :

One letter -two e-mails plus one more letter her employer has not yet shown her

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

This conduct could potentially amount to harassment. The relevant legislation that deals with harassment is The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 in civil cases and The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 in criminal cases. The law states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions.

Under criminal law, and if this is reported to the police who then take action, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim.

In addition to criminal action, a civil claim can also be brought against a person who is alleged to be guilty of causing harassment. The courts would award compensation to the victim, something that is unlikely to happen if this is pursued as a criminal issue.

So in the first instance the police can be contacted and this matter reported to them as harassment. However, they will not often get involved in trivial disputes so if they believe that this is not serious enough they could refuse to help and advise you that this is a civil matter. In such circumstances, the victim can warn the harasser that their actions are being treated as harassment and that unless they refrain from such behaviour in the future they will be reported to the police and legal action under harassment legislation taken against them.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Ben Jones :

Hello, did you get my response above?

Hello Denis, please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thank you