UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, I am a non resident leaseholder in london borough of

Customer Question

Hello, I am a non resident leaseholder in london borough of lewisham and I have received a £18, 000 bill for a major works programe which at the moment is in dispute, but I have been told that because I am not living at the property that I have no right to 3 years interest free , only applies if im living at the property, I do not think that this is compulsory as I know someone that is in the same position to me and has been accepted, different borough, please can you help?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid different councils have different policies and yours (Lewisham) does not offer the 3 years interest free period to non-resident leaseholders like yourself.

See page 2 of this document at the end of the page: http://www.lewishamhomes.org.uk/Resources/Lewisham%20Homes/Leaflets/Leasehold%20paying%20for%20major%20works.pdf

I am sorry, there is nothing you can do as far as the council is concerned and you should hope that the dispute is successful or try and source the funds from elsewhere.

Sorry this may not be what you wish to hear but I can only advise you truthfully.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is a policy a rule that has been layed down by lewisham council, can it be fought against as it is not law?

I am afraid you will have a very hard time fighting this and you would need to go to the courts which will be very costly and time consuming.

Sorry, I can only advise you truthfully on this matter.

Please take a minute to leave a rating.